The Old Man of Coniston
Climb this stunning and less travelled lakeland gem
If you’re looking for an inspiring and fairly gentle introduction to Mountain Walking or just want to tick this peak off then join us on our guided walk on the Old Man.
The mountain stands in a commanding position overlooking Coniston Water and has a great range of terrain to explore as well as lots of history from cavernous mines to downed wartime aircraft.
This really is an adventure for everyone and the perfect chance to learn new skills.
This is a day event. We will meet you in the main car park in the middle of Coniston Village to check kit, refill flasks and discuss our plan for the day.
Once we are happy we will then begin our walk to the top of the 803m high gem.
Along the way your guide will be on hand to support you and to help you develop your hill walking skills. The route is approximately 6.5 miles and we normally allow 5 hours for the round trip including lunch and stopping for photos and some exploring.
- Qualified friendly Instructors
- Travel insurance – Activity Insurance is!
- Transport to Coniston
- Food & Drinks
- Please understand we will not accept anyone drinking, drunk or hungover during activities.
- None - But we can recommend some if you need it
Maximum group size is 8 however larger groups can be arranged by special request. If the group is larger than 12 people, multiple venues will be used to minimise environmental impact on our beautiful but fragile venues.
- Some sturdy trainers or walking boots please. Nothing too floppy.
- Lots of warm layers, including hats and gloves as you will be active but static when belaying. You can always take layers off (but please leave something on!).
- Waterproof top & trousers
- You can get our full trip packing list below
The weather is highly changeable in the mountains so we advise you to pack everything listed on the kit list – you could be walking in a t-shirt and an hour later need a full fleece and waterproofs on. Your guide will let you know pre-departure if the weather conditions are particularly extreme but as this trip is in the summer months, you should expect a mix of sun, rain and wind.
None provided on this day trip. Please bring your own.
It’s classed as Warming Up. Chilled out but some occasional effort will be required.
Get started with a number of options to help you get the perfect adventure